20101002

Baudelaire Shepherd

THE TEN LICENSES

I want the doghouse owned by the hound next door,
the one I let be whipped, right after I dug
the garden up to steal an old bone, but before,
when he was at the vet, I fucked his pug,
and three months since I knocked off the family cat.
And if my dead mom, the rangy old bitch herself,
could join me on a Sunday walk, or a piss,
Christ, with what joy we would consecrate our own scat
to our dear Lord Anubis, now sitting on the shelf,
the god that lets us get away with all this.

4 comments:

  1. ...from Jack Bowman:

    I liked the reference to Anubis and the pug getting fucked, but otherwise not too memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...from Gary Imperial:

    I like the point of view from the dog next door, very interesting and different.
    It might have added to the poem if we knew the type of dog that was speaking.
    You reference the Pug but not the dog voice of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't seem your readers get the allusion to The Ten Commandments, let alone the clever philosophical irony of a dog breaking all of them. It is also irrelevant what kind of dog the speaker is. In the context of the poem, the speaker would have no reason to explain that he is a German Shepherd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poem refers to The Ten Commandments in nearly reverse order starting with Commandment 10- "You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor" and going to Commandment 1 -"I am the Lord your God". This poem's viewpoint is that God is the one who lets "us" get away with breaking all of them or that maybe there is no God. Religious education is helpful to understanding literary allusion to religious figures or texts.

    ReplyDelete